Message from the Principal
August 5, 2022
Hello NMS Families,
We are about three weeks away from the beginning of the 22-23 school year. We hope that you have had a great summer and also hoping your student is excited for school to start again. I'm going to share a number of things in this message. Some with detail and then just a mention of others with more information to come at a later date.
- Communication - ParentSquare is our primary method of communication. Please read the communication page so you are utilizing ParentSquare to the best of your ability. You can control how you receive messages.
- Registration - All new and returning students must complete registration for the 2022-23 school year. Emails with your student’s unique snapcode were sent again this week. Be sure to check spam/junk folders.
- First Day of School
- 6th Grade - August 29th
- 7th/8th Grade - August 30th
- Schedules will be available in PowerSchool on August 24th. If you do not have an account for PowerSchool, please take time to create one this summer. PowerSchool will be an important tool for helping your student be successful this year. PowerSchool Account Creation You will need the Access ID and Access Password for your student if you are creating a new account. You can contact our front office at 541-474-5740, beginning, Tuesday, August 9th, to get that information.
- Orientation - On Wednesday, August 24th, students will be able to pick up a printed copy of their schedule and locate their classroom. Students will also be able to practice accessing their lockers. A much more specific communication will come as the date get closer.
- Supplies - we will be offering students a starter pack of supplies and they will receive them the first day of school. The starter pack will include traditional supplies including pencil pouch, pencils, pens, highlighters, colored pencils, pencil sharpener, eraser, glue stick, and paper. We are not including a three-ring binder this year because many students enjoy the individuality that a binder allows for. We will have binders available for any student that needs one. Please be careful if you visit any local store in town that produces a supply list. We have NOT provided them with a supply list since we are providing much of them. Do expect that an individual teacher may require additional materials like a composition notebook or sticky notes.
- Lockers - students will be assigned a locker and will have access to a locker throughout the day. Students may also carry backpacks during the day and will eventually find a routine for when they access their locker over the course of the day.
- PE clothes - students will be issued a free pair of PE clothes. Students are expected to wear the issued PE uniforms during their PE class. If a second pair is needed, they will be purchased.
- Bell Schedule - please see the link for bell schedules. Schools starts at 8:30 am and ends at 3:09 pm. We have late start Wednesdays and school starts at 9:30 am while still concluding at 3:09 pm.
- Bus Routes - The Courier publishes bus routes on August 18th. Our district page will have 2022-2023 routes published at roughly the same time.
- Parent/Teacher/Student Association (PTSA) - please consider being a contributing member of the PTSA. We also have opportunities for volunteers. We are excited to have volunteers back in our buildings. Please note, the volunteer application must be filled out every year. The District also requires that all volunteers undergo a criminal background check. Visit our volunteer webpage for additional information.
- Back to School Night - September 15th. The last two years have been virtual and we are still discussing how this will look for the upcoming school year.
We will be sending additional information periodically through August to update you on start of the year activities.
Enjoy the rest of the summer, and we will see you soon!
Assistant Principal/Athletic Director